Hamburger soup is a family favorite. It sticks to your ribs and kids love it!From Blueberries & Polar Bears, page 75
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef (750 g)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 28 oz. can tomatoes, chopped (796 mL)
- 6 cups beef broth (1.5 L)
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ cup pot barley (125 mL)
- 2 tbsp. parsley (30 mL)
- 1 tbsp. DLS*
- Brown meat and onions. Drain well.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, Simmer, covered, for at least 2 hours to make sure the barley is cooked.
- Taste to adjust seasonings.
Makes at least 10 servings and freezes well. *For Dymond Lake Seasoning substitute 1/2 tsp. thyme, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. celery salt, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder.