Curried Squash Soup
Whenever Helen and I taste a soup we really like, we take it as a challenge to go home and duplicate it. This is one such challenge — conquered! We hope you enjoy the prize!From Icebergs & Belugas, page 61
- 6 cups peeled, chunked butternut squash (1.5 L)
- ¾ cup chopped onion (175 mL)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro (30 mL)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cups strong chicken stock (500 mL)
- ½ tsp. salt (2 mL)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (15 mL)
- ½ tsp. cumin (2 mL)
- ½ tsp. curry powder (2 mL)
- ½ tsp. pepper (2 mL)
- ½ cup cream (125 mL)
- In a large saucepan, bring all of the ingredients, except the cream, to a boil. Simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and puree until smooth.
- Add the cream and reheat, but do not boil. Taste and adjust seasonings.